Nutritional deficiencies – the reality is every single one of us has them.
When we’re not getting an adequate intake of nutrients that our body depends on, things start happening. We may notice muscle weakness, reduced immune function, asthma, migraines, and have increased risks of depression and cancer – and yet this is only a few of the ailments that can occur.
On the bright side, we can do something about this (!!!), and it starts with what we eat, and supplementation.
For example, did you know vitamin B12 can only be consumed through animal products? A deficiency in this essential vitamin can lead to impaired brain function and anemia (so if you’re vegetarian or vegan, look into supplementing!).
Many are also deficient in calcium, which is necessary for our bone health, and a lack in calcium can lead to osteoporosis. What are good sources of this essential mineral? Leafy greens (and yes, collard greens is one of them).
So here we have it – a collard greens recipe packed with the right nutrients for our bodies to feel the good, and fight the bad.
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 fl. oz organic beef bone broth (I like to use Bonafide Provisions)
- Sea salt, a few pinches
- Ground pepper, a few pinches
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Heat avocado oil in dutch oven on medium heat
- Remove tough stems that run down the middle of the collard greens, cut down the middle, and then cut into 1/2-1 inch slices horizontally
- Sauté onion, mushroom and garlic, about 5 minutes
- Mix in bone broth, collard greens, salt & pepper, cover and cook for 40 minutes (or until your desired tenderness of collard greens), stirring occasionally
- There you have it! I top with avocado to add in a great source of fat. You can also throw in some extra seasonings (such as a kick of spice) or even mix in a bit of rice. Get creative!