Nutritional deficiencies – the reality is every single one of us has them.
When we’re not getting an adequate intake of nutrients that our body depends on, things start happening. We may notice regular colds occurring, a decreased tolerance to stress, asthma, splitting headaches, and other variations of inflammation. Our bodies can’t scream at us, but it’ll let us know when it’s in need of some tender love and care.
The beautiful part is, we can reverse symptoms (!!!), and it starts with what we consume.
Let’s start with a soul food staple, collard greens. This rich and hearty leafy green is full of nutrients. We’re talking bone health (vitamin K), detoxification (fiber), gut health (more fiber), healthy blood sugar (fiber fiber fiber), radiant skin and hair (vitamin A), and better sleep (magnesium). I’m not here to provide an entire list of benefits, because we’re ready to get cooking. But when we have a better understanding on what we’re eating, we cultivate an awareness to what makes us feel good. So when you start to see these benefits trickling into your life, you’ll know what it is that’s fueling you.
So here we have it – a quick collard greens recipe packed with the right nutrients for our bodies to feel nourished, and thriving.
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 fl. oz organic beef bone broth (I like to use Bonafide Provisions)
- Sea salt, a few pinches
- Ground pepper, a few pinches
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Heat avocado oil in dutch oven on medium heat
- Remove tough stems that run down the middle of the collard greens, cut down the middle, and then cut into 1/2-1 inch slices horizontally
- Sauté onion, mushroom and garlic, about 5 minutes
- Mix in bone broth, collard greens, salt & pepper, cover and cook for 40 minutes (or until your desired tenderness of collard greens), stirring occasionally
- There you have it! A quick collard greens recipe. I top with avocado to add in a great source of fat. You can also throw in some extra seasonings (such as a kick of spice) or even mix in a bit of rice. Get creative!
Curious for more? Check out my Spaghetti and Chicken Meatballs in Vodka Sauce (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)!