One of the best ways to secretly incorporate a plethora of veggies into a feel good, wholesome dish is in fact, tacos. Forget the standard lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream, let’s aim for nutritious VARIETY.
As you read on you might be thinking why I purchase foods that are “out of my norm” or even “weird” – I’ve gotten this comment a lot. Years ago I was one to put limitations on food, eating the same standard meals. Better put, I was restricting myself from the endless food resources that are available at my local grocery stores, missing the opportunity to further fuel my body. So when I find something new that I believe would be good to experiment in a recipe, I accept the challenge. TBH, I haven’t let myself down thus far either.
As I browsed Whole Foods’s produce section I fell upon their Organic Crunchy Mix, which is organic mung beans, green lentils, red lentils, green peas and adzuki beans. It sounded interesting enough to test out in a taco mix, along with shiitake mushrooms which have a “meaty” consistency (good to know: mushrooms can easily act as an “earth-meat” in a plant-based diet). With all that said, I got to work and let me tell you, I was blown away with the final product. The crunch of the beans and lentils paired with the tenderness of ground turkey & mushrooms – probably one of my best.
And if you avoid gluten like myself, it doesn’t mean you have to give up on your favorite products, like tortillas! Siete Foods is my go-to brand for Mexican flare in my recipes. This was also my first time trying their taco seasoning and I was impressed.
If you’re ready for a FLAVORFUL meal with a little kick and packed with nutrient dense ingredients, I’ve got you covered. Give the following recipe a try and welcome yourself to amazement:
- 1 pound organic ground turkey
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 6 oz. Organic Crunchy Mix (Found at Whole Foods)
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large organic red bell pepper
- 2 handfuls organic spinach
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup water
- Siete Spicy Taco Seasoning
- Siete Cassava Flour (Grain Free) Tortillas
- Siete Traditional Hot Sauce
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat skillet on medium with avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sauté mushrooms, pepper and garlic until pepper begins to soften, 5-6 minutes
- Add in Organic Crunchy Mix and cook for another minute
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned
- Mix in 1/3 cup water + taco seasoning. Stir and cook until sauce thickens
- Heat tortillas in oven for 30 seconds on each side on a baking sheet
- It’s taco time! Layer taco meat, hot sauce, and cilantro on tortillas
- Dig in!